Friday, July 2, 2010

June 30, 2010

Wow i can't believe its the 30th already!

And there is no FIFA World Cup today, so i don't need to stay up to watch the replays.

Before i came to Queen's, my anticipation for the promising Shad experience took a hit when i saw "-calculator" on the "To Bring" list. Then it started to get me worrying about all the intimidating top seeds of Canada that I'm going to meet, so much for an exciting month.

However, after a simple 3 and half days, my initial intimidation and fear has disappeared without a trace.

I woke up hearing 106.5FM reporting the weather. Don't remember how i fell asleep, but i feel more tired than before i went to bed. Breakfast was the usual bacon, potatoes and eggs. It must be some special sauce they put in there because everyone's claiming that they are eating 3 times their usual servings. @8:45 all 48 Shads are gathered in the Churnoff waiting for the announcement for the day. Today we got the "Shadule" for the next 3 days: we got a pizza party for Canada Day and a camping trip on Friday! I'm so excited! It'll be my first camping experience. Today was part three of the Shad Slide Shows, everyone got around 90 seconds to describe themselves. Then our morning was followed by a lecture about the crucial factors concerning the correct choices for management in an organization, some points are very helpful for group projects.

Okay to be honest that didn't sound too exciting, but this is only the beginning.

Dodge Ball! Actually its called Declining Dodge Ball, because the field is shrinking as the game goes on. After a good three rounds, we headed back to the dining hall for lunch. Today i tried the pizza for the first time. Because it is like a buffet at Queen's, I never got a chance to taste everything. After lunch, we headed off to the workshops that we've bid on (you get 50 tokens, and there are four opportunities for workshops throughout the program, and each time there are 6 choices). I was in the Debate workshop. The first hour or so was all about the technical terms and fallacies, but the second hour and half was impromptu debate. My topic was "Should assisted suicide be legalized" and I had to debate against it with a partner. It was a very close call but we won, because of our passion.

I ate chicken for dinner. I love how there is always a variety of choices to pick from. Following dinner, we played a bit of soccer before heading to the ILC (Integrated Learning Center), there we were given the big project of the month. Since I'm not sure if other campuses have gotten theirs yet I'll leave the details out, but let's just say it is a huge research project and we need to make a prototype of a project. That is basically it for today.

11:54, just before the deadline x)

David Liu, Shad Valley Queen's University 2010
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario