Thursday, July 15, 2010

July 14

I awoke this morning at 5:30am to the shrill sound of an alarm. Somebody else's. The walls in our residence are so thin that it's hard to speak to my roommate without waking the whole floor. That was fine by me though, I got up and ate an early breakfast before heading to the first activity of the day: a conference led by Marie-Eve, one of the PAs, on the subject of "l'eau souterrain".

After the conference we had project time and lunch. I then regrouped with the talent show commitee to plan for open day. We spent most of the time searching facebook for photos to put in the program. Meeting well spent. :)

Later, during free time, Sarah taught me the very basics of guitar playing, something I hope to learn more of before leaving Shad. Next was physical activity at the Pavillion d'Education Physique. Today's physical activity was supposed to be be a choice between rock climbing, diving, and spinning. I signed up for spinning but, unfortunately, our instructor never showed up. Instead we settled for a water fight and a short game of soccer.

The day's activies ended with a Shad late night (a large game of manhunt in the forest), and a party to celebrate Jeffrey's birthday.

Overall the day was as jampacked and exciting as ever, but there was also a feeling of sadness in the group. Yesterday one of our Shads went home unexpectedly and the group seems strangely incomplete without him. It's hard to believe that we were all strangers just two and a half weeks ago when already we have become so close. I know the rest of the program will be over before we know it, but so far it has been an amazing experience and I hope the rest of our time together will be just as exceptional. :)

Karin Lapp, Shad Valley Université Laval 2010
Hometown: Nepean, Ontario