Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 19 - Friday July 16

The shrill sound of my alarm clock forces me rudely from sleep. I sit up, dazed and disoriented. With slowly returning comprehension and excitement, I realize that this is the day. After two weeks of discussions, research and work, presentation day has finally arrived; our final project is due today.

After quickly grabbing a bite of breakfast from the cafe, my seven group members and I walk to where our project room is located. Two hours later, we emerge with our prototypes, along with the other groups and walk nervously over to the building at which we will be presenting. We hold our first ever “town hall” meeting in the auditorium and Barry Bisson, the international director of Shad Valley, joins us. After our meeting and discussion, we head back to our residence to change and grab lunch.

For the next hour pandemonium ensues. Every door is open as people rush in and out borrowing clothes and getting ready. Thirty minutes later I walk back to the auditorium with forty-seven students who have been miraculously transformed into polished business men and women. I watch nervously as the first two groups present their excellent products. When I finally stand up in front of my peers, I am both excited and nervous. Along with Simi and Eric, I know that I have the expectations of our five other hardworking group members resting upon me and upon our presentation. Before I know it though, the final presentation has finished and myself and 47 other Shads erupt in cheering.

We walked back to our residences for a quick change into slightly less formal clothes and then my eight group members, two program assistants, Sharon and Julian, and program director, Ian, walk to downtown Kingston to celebrate with Thai food at a restaurant called Mango. After a huge meal topped with a dessert from White Mountain Ice Cream, we returned to residence to play a card game that has become something of a tradition, “werewolves.” I think it may be at this moment, relaxing in a circle with forty-seven people that I realize that I have been very lucky to make forty-seven new friends; funny, smart, warm, amazing young adults with extraordinary futures ahead of them. I have been extremely lucky to have had the chance to spend the last nineteen days surrounded by these wonderful people, working with them, laughing with them, learning from them. I only wish that I had more than the eight short days that remain before I have to say good-bye…to my friends and to the fantastic experience that is Shad.

Fiona Emdin, Shad Valley Queen's University 2010
Hometown: Picton, Ontario