Tuesday, July 13, 2010

July 12

The time is 10:09 P.M.
Exhausted yet excited, I finally sit down to my laptop after much moaning about how uncooperative my computer is.
As suggested by Kingsley Hurlington, one of our Program Directors, I decide to open with a question. But what should I ask?
What is key to a good relationship in a group situation?
If two men walk into a bar, why didn't the second one duck?
The second question clearly does not provide much base for my blog, so I choose to answer the first question in order to introduce my blog.
The time is 10:15 P.M., and I read over what I have written thus far.
What is key to a good relationship in a group situation?
To answer this question properly, I believe that I should provide a little bit of background. What did I do today?
Today was a rather regular Shad Valley day, which, in itself, is a contradiction. Saying a day at Shad Valley is regular is like saying winged mutant squirrels fly out of dyslexic cows on an hourly basis. There is nothing normal about a day at Shad Valley. I started off the day like I regularly do; at 6:15 A.M., I haul myself out of bed in order to hunt for an open shower. I then rush back to my room, change, and make my way down to the common room to meet before breakfast.
I left out some details concerning my changing due to obvious reasons.
It is 10:25 P.M., and my roommate, Adam, walks in. We exchange some greetings and jokes, and I return to blogging as he attempts to contact his parents back in Newfoundland.
Breakfast was the regular mix of conversation, jokes and shielding of eyes from the sun because the sadistic architect of the building decided it was funny to make the east-facing walls made of glass. After breakfast, we traveled to our first lecture at the MDCL (I can't remember what it stands for) on Business - specifically, income statements, estimates and analysis, which was extremely helpful to our current Design-Entrepreneurship Project. The next lecture, which was definitely one of the highlights of my day, was from a man named Leo Johnson. I don't have time to explain his life story, but his lecture was nothing short of mind-blowing.
I yawn, and check the time on my watch. It is 10:34 P.M. I ask my roommate to proofread my blog when I'm done.
Lunch itself was also quite regular. The meal may change from day to day, but one thing I was sure was in the buffet was a potato of some form. Day in and day out, there was always a potato. Always.
We were briefed on our afternoon activities after lunch, and traveled to "the Bunker", as named by a fellow Shad, for our next lecture.
At this point, I will skip this lecture and move onto our second activity in order to prolong answering my initial question and keep you reading.
Our second activity and recreational activity was bundled up into one package of awesomeness known as Ultimate (it should be Ultimate Frisbee, but Frisbee is a trademark name). We participated in a tournament-type arrangement. Our team was undefeated until we faced the staff team, where we were ripped to shreds. After requesting a rematch, we summoned up all of our strength and spirit, and resolved to score at least one point. The result? We were beat down even harder than the first time.
The time is 10:45 P.M. I change into my PJs.
Late for dinner, we charged into the dining hall and dinner progressed as planned.
time is ticking down before lights out, it is 10:50 P.M.
After dinner, we had free time, Shad Speaks, project time, which was extremely valuable as the deadline for our Design-Entrepreneurship Project accelerated towards us, and committee time, in which various committees organized various up-coming Shad events.
The time is 10:55 P.M.
Before Ultimate, we participated, unknowingly, in a social experiment. We were split up into 4 groups, and were told that we had two choices: red or blue. We would gain or lose money based on what the other teams decided. We lost a lot of money. All groups lost money.
The ultimate goal of this activity was to show us that trust was the easiest and best way in order to achieve success. And that is what is key in a group situation. If the group is to succeed as a group, then each individual in the group must be able to trust all other individuals in the group. Only through trust, will success truly be attained.
I prepare for bed, exhausted yet excited for events to come here at Shad.
I hope winged mutant squirrels don't fly out of dyslexic cows on an hourly basis any time soon.

Julian Li, Shad Valley McMaster University 2010
Hometown: Toronto, Ontario