Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 13

Wow. I cannot believe that we are halfway through week 3 already! That is insane! The first week felt like a month, and now...wait, there was a week two?! With these 17 hour long days, I honestly have a difficult time remembering what happened yesterday, let alone this morning!

However, this morning stands out quite vividly in my memory and my heart :) Today way Shad Valley Dalhousie's "Dirty Day", where we gave back to the amazing community that is supporting us and allowing us to stay in their city of Halifax for a month. I was very excited to be able to go and visit a retirement home, called the Berkley, about a half hour walk from our university. About 30 of us went and sang, played piano, ukulele, violin, alto sax, read poems and just talked about ourselves for the morning. Being able to speak with the seniors was the sweetest thing! :) I spoke with one man who was originally from Calgary and was just delighted to meet a fellow Calgarian. He asked me to help him make some tea and we sat and talked about the weather, his children, grandchildren and how he felt about living at the Berkley. It was such an amazing feeling to be able to brighten up their day--they were all smiles! :) I wish we could have stayed longer! They all have such interesting stories and helped us a lot with our projects :)

With less than two weeks left *sniff*, we aren't slowing things down! We're all looking forward to out secret event this weekend and the remaining week and half of AWESOMENESS that I to follow! :)

Sam(antha) Brown, Shad Valley Dalhousie University 2010
Hometown: Calgary, Alberta