Monday, July 12, 2010

July 9th, 2010

Today was a very special day for all Waterloo Shads to appreciate each other’s strengths, abilities and interests. A few days prior, just as our eyelids started to droop from an interminable series of lectures, we were jolted out of our slumber as the staff made us aware of the impending Shad seminars. In essence, we were to come up with one topic in which either our confidence or talents lay, and enlighten the fellow Shads of the topic in 10 minutes. There were squeals of delight, heavy heaves of desperation.

Back in my room, I sat in contemplation for a little while. I wanted the topic to have had been unexplored by Shads and be a topic that is at least remotely interesting. I wanted my seminar to be a fair reflection of my identity, but at the same time, I wanted it to remain engaging. I looked around the room and found a wet towel resting on the floor. Suddenly, the idea of a towel goat-head occurred to me. I've seen it a couple of years ago in Korean dramas, and towel goat-heads were a huge fad in Korea for a while. It satisfied criteria of reflecting my cultural identity and being engaging; it was a good design.

From left : Shirley Ying, Jeannie Xu, Helen Cho, Lynn Wu, Prathana Chandran, Liz Geum, Nuraiyah Kassam, Jaden Rook, Rachel Wong


Liz Geum, Shad Valley University of Waterloo 2010
Hometown: Langley, British Columbia