Monday, July 12, 2010

July 11

Shad Valley is a mind blowing program. I’m surrounded by some of the most talented students in Canada, learning about some of the coolest topics, like biomechanics, traditional design, and geriatrics. It gets really overwhelming sometimes, what with daily lectures, Shad Speaks, firm projects, soft projects, Shad Cup, etc, so when Sunday arrives, I didn’t know what to do with my extra time. Here’s a little summary of my Sunday:

7:00- Rude awakening by my alarm.

7:10- Finally get the energy to hit the snooze button.

7:19- My alarm sounds again.

7:20- My alarm clock is smashed on the floor.

Approximately 8:00 (can’t tell since my alarm clock is broken) - Footsteps running up and down the hall.

Approximately 9:00- Girls yelling about using the laundry rooms.

Approximately 10:30- Drag myself up and officially start my day.

10:33- Start panicking when I check the time on my phone and I realize I missed breakfast and most of the first lecture.

10:35- Realize it is Sunday and I have Shad Nap until 1 pm.

10:40- Can’t fall asleep again.

10: 45- Officially up to start my morning routine.

11:00- Starving because I missed breakfast.

11:30- Went online and checked my email.

11:35- Researched for Shad Cup

11:50- Surreptitiously went on Facebook until I felt guilty and went back to Shad Cup research

12:00- Practiced for Musical Ensemble Night in the basement.

12:10- Messed around with instruments instead of practicing.

12:30- Went to breakfast.

2:00- Headed over to Avila Center for a lecture on Dynamic Limb Manipulation

2:05- Turns out Dynamic Limb Manipulation is Shad lingo for watching the FIFA World Cup.

2:45- Slightly disappointed when Netherlands lost, whom I am cheering for.

3:20- Utterly frustrated by the game. Thought by now at least one goal would have been scored (preferably by Netherlands).

3:45- Totally depressed by the game. Can’t believe Spain scored.

And on and on. I love Shad Valley. I love how challenging it is and its fast pace. I love my intense and competitive fellow Shads and how much I learn from them. I love Shad Valley, but I can’t help but thank a higher power for Shad Sundays.


FIFA World Cup Betting

Claire Ding, Shad Valley Lakehead University 2010
Hometown: Mississauga, Ontario