Wednesday, July 14, 2010

July 13

Sunlight poured in through the cracks of the curtain. It was 6:30AM. Today was going to be another bright and sunny day. After munching down on some breakfast, we went on down to MDCL for some lectures. They were interesting enough, but I'm afraid they didn't top my list today.

After lectures came lunchtime! Unfortunately, we had to rush lunch because we had a bus to catch. Why did we have a bus to catch, you ask? Well, it's because we were off on a trip to the Jaravinkski Cancer Center. The facility itself was brightly lit with large windows and elegantly decorated. For around an hour, some of the most talented Shads played music for the patients of the cancer centre. Needless to say, all the acts were beautiful and the residents were very pleased with our performances. After the performances, we were ushered upstairs and into a workshop about cancer. There were four stations which we rotated among and in one of the stations, we had the chance to look at a high tech chemotherapy machine. They showed us how it worked and how they minimize the radiation the person may absorb. Did you know patients are actually tattooed in specific places so they can align the patient perfectly every time they have to come in for chemotherapy?

At around 4:30PM we headed back to Hedden Hall and walked straight to dinner. After dinner was personal time. I was going to take a nap, but instead I ended up practicing for my performance for the Variety Show. The rest of the day was fun (but a little tiring). I'd love to get some sleep right about now, so I think I'll stop it right here. After all, I have to wake up early tomorrow if I want to see the sun rise on another bright and sunny day.

Tanya Dhanoa, Shad Valley McMaster University 2010
Hometown: Surrey, British Columbia