Thursday, July 8, 2010

July 7: Day…11?

I LOVE SHAD!! This has truly been a life changing experience for me, already!! We're only 11 days into the program, and I feel as though I've know the other Shads, the PAs, and staff for so much longer!!

Today has been my favourite day thus far! It began with my 7:42 alarm (followed by 10 more minutes of sleep!), breakfast, and then right on to our first activity of the day: a lecture! This lecture was on mental health, and was absolutely fascinating!! We were encouraged to ask questions and engage in discussions, and we all learned so much about mental health. This was followed by an hour of project time, in which our design group managed to come up with some really fantastic ideas! After this we speed walked back to the cafeteria for a quick lunch, then off to workshops!

My workshop was all about food (everyone's favourite!) and was super interesting! We had two speakers from the Kingston community who introduced us to world issues such as food safety and production decline. After three hours of this it was back to the caf for dinner, then off to yoga! This was really relaxing as the past week and half it has been 35ºC and higher, and we were in a nice, air conditioned gym.

This sounds like a lot, but it's all in a day's work for a Shad as I'm sure everyone is discovering! So that's all for me, good night all! :)

Miriam Moore, Shad Valley Queen's University 2010
Hometown: Whitehorse, Yukon