Monday, July 19, 2010

July 16, 2010

This is like the second time (since the visit to Old Quebec) that I'm off campus. Woohoo! Two PA's, a Shad, and I went to Maxie's to buy groceries for the Multicultural Night tomorrow. I am so excited to cook tomorrow. Me and a team of ten Shads will cook dinner for tomorrow, consisting of a menu which includes a shrimp ring, nachos, pasta, spring rolls, pad thai, greek salad, poutine, fruit salad, and pavlova. We spent over three hundred dollars on groceries, and all within an hour. After we piled everything into the van, sweating inside the heat of the car, Daniel, the director of Shad Laval, asked where we wanted to eat lunch. Shawn, a PA, immediately said Anderson's. Olivia and I glanced at each other, with no idea what that place was. "You can only get it in Quebec, and they have poutine." Wow. Poutine. Quebec Poutine. I was convinced. As I entered the fast food restaurant, I was surprised at how clean everything was. There so much varieties of poutine. There was one with meatsauce, gravy, and sausages, and another one with chicken, peas, and cheese curds. I ordered the latter. Served in a small aluminium bowl, I was surprised at how filling it was.

We arrived back to the university so that Olivia and I could attend our seminars. Mine was on optics, so me and ten other Shads took a tour of a lab containing different lasers and lights. We had to wear hats, slippers, and a coat to prevent contaminating the place with dust. It was so cool!

During project time, our group just realized we only had 3 more days until our projects are due... there is so much to do! Stress is upon our shoulders, yet many people continue to go on Facebook (except me of course).

With that aside, I can't wait until I can cook for the Multicultural dinner tomorrow. I'm in charge of the desserts, and I will be making my favourite: Pavlovas. I could go on forever about how delicious pavlovas are, but that's not the point. It's about Shad.

There is exactly one more week left, and I must treasure these last moments, making the best out of it, before I fly back home.

Karyn Liu,
Shad Valley Université Laval 2010
Hometown: Richmond, British Columbia