Monday, June 28, 2010

Shad UBC Day One

So, I time travelled today...or rather tried, and managed to slow time enough so that I arrived in Vancouver only 20 minutes after I left. My allies in this feat: the good old hour and 22 minute flight and the time change...and of course that wonderful flying metal object that we call an airplane. In any case, I arrived in Vancouver pretty deaf in one ear because of the dreadful pressure changes, and that surprisingly enough lasted a whole 2 hours before I was actually back to normal. For those of you who didn’t have to fly, you are lucky. For all else, am I the only one who is driven crazy by the pressure?

The Shad staff rounded up groups of Shads and punctually shipped them to the campus where we made a few attempts to link faces with names – the degree of success, I am still uncertain. Then there was the scavenger hunt. Separated from fellow Shads, we were left in the wilderness of UBC to attempt to find various buildings to some success, but for the majority of the evening, my group was helplessly lost amid the sea of buildings and grass that is called the University of British Columbia.

Fast forward through supper, there was a “tour” (that isn’t very accurate as it was more as a walk in temperate weather while chattering with fellow Shads) around some of the buildings on Campus. Nice roses, good architecture, trampoline bushes (quite literally – the bushes could very well have enough spring force to be considered a trampoline), and a very slight breeze. Back in the conference room, strange interpretations of our Shad bio tiles by Shads whose names we still have failed to learn, then now. A blog. The first entry to a string of words that will summarize the days of Shad Valley in every Shad Valley campus. So, I suppose, through bad grammar, comma splices and sentence fragments which the computer continually tells me to correct, I suppose, here we go!

Derek Eng, Shad Valley University of British Columbia 2010
Hometown: Calgary, Alberta