Tuesday, June 29, 2010

And So It Begins

6:55 am – Having just woken up with only seven hours of interrupted sleep (most people waking up for a 5:30 gym visit at the DalPlex) and only four hours of sleep the night before, I have never felt more awake. Both the staff and the students seem to have an energy that just radiates through the building!

1:15 pm – After an intense (and just awesome) morning of competition, in the form of a campus wide picture scavenger hunt in the rain, 50 soaking wet Shad’s marched into Howe Hall and sat down for a feast of a lunch. One burger and fries, two plates of pasta and several small cups of soda later, we are ready to go see Queen Elizabeth ll along with all other leaders of Canada in a special celebration!

5:21 pm – Oh what to write. It is just past 5 and our 1 ½ hour scheduled dinner period has begun. Currently just sitting here listening to music after a day packed with events, I realize I have never appreciated the value of dry clothes. That being said, I also have never felt so close to people I have only known for a day.

11:06 pm –My eyelids are slightly droopy with content and satisfaction, realizing all that was accomplished. As I stare at the screen and type, I am recalling the past day’s events; enough to last me three regular days at home. A word coined by our directors, Shad Standard Time precisely describes the days at Shad Valley. Although they seemed to be referring to it in regards to punctuality, I find that at Shad, so much is possible in such a short amount of time. In just over one day, I made 49 new friends (plus some really cool staff friends), founded the basis of a ten person organization (your house/team) and saw the Queen of England (with time to spare and relax with my newly found friends). With just one day of experience, I can already see that Shad is not just a one month camp, or resume booster, but rather a one month lifestyle choice with everlasting impacts.

Morgan Rosenberg, Shad Valley Dalhousie University 2010
Hometown: Thornhill, Ontario