Monday, June 28, 2010

Day 1!

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep....

I open my eyes, look at the ridiculously early hour (5h20!) and am about to turn off my alarm when I read the 4 letters on my screen "SHAD"... seconds later I am out of bed.

The rest of my morning is kind of a blur of nervous excitement; breakfast, car ride, goodbyes, first train, Montreal, second train, Quebec City, taxi, LAVAL! (by this time I would like to note that is 4h00 in the afternoon).

Now when you look forward to something for so long I find it hard to believe it has finally arrived. Needless to say the fact that I am actually here, at Laval University, about to embark on a month long experience of a lifetime, has yet to sink in.

Once I arrived I was given some time to settle in and got to meet my roommate! (I was nervous at first, but once I met her I was reassured that everything was going to go great.) A couple icebreakers later, we were all sitting down in the cafeteria enjoying our first meal together. After that it was time for a general meeting ; ground rules, values, committees... Finally, after a long day of traveling we are sent off with a little free time before bed. ''Call your parents!'", they remind us (Note to self: Call parents once I'm done blogging).

The names, places, faces, discussions... it all feels a little overwhelming.. but overwhelming in a good way. I can't wait to get started! I'm already brimming with ideas of the things I would like to do over the course of the month and starting friendships that will surpass the following 30 days I'm sure. Of course my SHAD adventure would be better off starting with a good night's sleep (on second thought there is a ping pong tournament going on...)

All in all, day 1 of SHAD is a success: I've arrived safe and sound, as well as I am thoroughly looking forward for the month to come.

Good night all,
Sarah

Sarah Plante, Shad Valley Université Laval 2010
Hometown: Pembroke, Ontario