Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Monday June 28

Today has been the busiest day ever! I woke up bright and early at 6:45 and had my first meal at the cafeteria. Breakfast was delicious, I especially like the set up of the cafeteria.

After breakfast we went to the Multipurpose Room and started our very first activity. We did an activity where we learned about design and then prepared a prototype for a product. My team designed a windbreaker, and I was very impressed with our final product. The activity was really enjoyable because it opened my eyes all the skills required to design everyday products. As well it helped me learn everyone's names as this is my first real day of Shad.

After lunch we did some team building exercises in the architecture pit. This is the first time in my life I have made so many new friends in a matter of hours. We also did a very moving trust building exercise which opened my eyes to the Shads around me.

In the evening after dinner we had our opening ceremonies and I learned very much from an aboriginal speaker, including the fact that "yo" has been said by natives for thousands of years and is not just a "rap term". Afterwards we split off into our commitees and now I am off to sleep.

Au Revoir!

Zea Cline, Shad Valley Carleton University 2010
Hometown: St. John's, Newfoundland