Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Memorial University Campus - June 28

Graduation, safe grad activities all night long, several hours in airplanes and airports and now I find myself, on the first full day of Shad Valley, fully immersed in the program. Although the first few hours of yesterday could have been described as « awkward » at best, 24 hours later I find myself surrounded by people I’m comfortable with, that I enjoy being around, people I can call friends for next 27 days and on.

Our day started early, we had morning recreational activities at 7, with more later on in the day. The lectures were great, with topics ranging from the pros and cons of patenting, to the science behind a Sudoku. I must say the highlight of the day, was getting into our house groups. We were assigned a colored t-shirt and a poster, which we would need to make into our house logo. We also made a chant for our team. After some time in the gym, we hastily got ready for the welcoming banquet, which started in 5 minutes. It was great – great food, great people, and a fun experience all around. To burn off all of those extra calories, we concluded the day with a scavenger hunt around the massive campus, which has over 14000 students and 55 buildings. The prize? A MUN T-Shirt, which our team ended up winning!
Overall, a great first full day of Shad Valley! I’m looking forward to the next 27!

Bye!

Alexandre Deslongchamps, Shad Valley Memorial University of Newfoundland 2010
Hometown: Fredericton, New Brunswick